Sunday, November 24, 2013

An Interview with a Transwomen: Micale Haddick in Pursuit of her Identity


 
It is no doubt that many transgender individuals face various challenges to become who they want to be.  It is difficult for them to show their feminine or masculine identity when our society keeps threatening, harassing, or murdering the transgender community.

Micale Haddick who is a student at a community college in Burbank, California mentions that she often had great difficulty identifying and gravitating toward her preferred gender identity for the reason that she was afraid how society would accept her. She was afraid to receive harassments and be pointed at when walking in public streets. 

Haddick states, “I was scare to be seen in public once I moved into the transgender community. I was concern about the reaction from the people around me.”  Her concern, however, didn’t stop her from wanting to be a transwoman. 

We live in a society that shuns differences, in a society that finds it difficult to accept people who are not part of the gender norms.  We are surrounded in a culture that is obsessed with conformity and belonging and society excludes those individuals who don’t belong to our society either by verbally abusing them or by brutally attacking. Haddick has lived through the harassments of people and has been rigorously criticized for her gender transition. Because society finds it hard to accept transgender people as normal humans, it becomes fairly easy for society to hate them and be aggressive amongst transgender people.
People in our society are afraid of the unknown and they attack anything that is different or out of the norm.  Haddick has been personally attacked both verbally and physically and has been told that she doesn’t belong in society.  
 
In this personal interview with Micale Haddick, I question her identity as a transwoman.
 
The Interview                                                                                        

Andrea: I understand that many individuals identify their gender identity different.  What does gender identity mean to you?
Haddick: Well to me, gender identity is the way you express yourself to the world.  It is the way you perform in society and the way you appear to society.  It is the way I express my feminine gender expression.
A: Tell me about your gender transition and at what age did you consider yourself a transwoman?
H: When I was growing up everything seemed normal, but I did grow up different than normal boys.  I was fascinated with barbies and dolls and I would often play with my older sister rather than with my younger brother.  My parents were very supportive, they never pushed me away and they were always by my side. As I grew older, I became more and more curious about my gender and my appearance.  It wasn’t until I turned 16 that I decided to become more feminine and be part of the transgender community.  I struggled much, especially throughout my high school years.  Everyone would always call out my differences.
A:  Why did you choose to be a transwoman?
H: I was trapped, confused, and isolated.  I wasn’t comfortable being a man.  I wanted something different and I wanted to explore femininity. It was something I always wanted to do.  Makeup, dresses, and handbags always attracted me, and I wanted to experience femininity by appearing more feminine to society even though I knew it would be a great challenge. 
A:  What difficulties have you had or do you currently face in society for being a transgender?
H: Seen as an outcast has been something I have always faced.  I face name callings from people in the street, and I am regularly criticized by people when I’m in public. I have been attacked by both students in high school and in college.  The oppression from society is something I have to regularly cope with as our society refuses to accept people who are different. 
A: Why do you think our society denies the acceptance of transgender people?
H: I believe that there is nothing wrong with being a transgender. Bottom line, the issue is not with transgender people, but an issue with people in society.  People in society are uncomfortable with others who do not share the same ideals and they believe it is right to harass us.  We are all people, and society should allow transgender people to pursue the life they feel is meant for them.  As long as I’m happy as a transwomen that is what matters.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment